Wednesday, August 22, 2018

The Chokecherry Festival is Right Around the Corner!

It's Chokecherry Picking Time!


     So...here's a "My Story" post from my daughter's Instagram.  What she didn't know was these thoughtful grandsons and one granddaughter came to me and told me they would like to pick chokecherries without me paying them.  They insisted they wanted to do this "to help me out."  They all stayed home from a football game and worked on their little surprise for me!  I think they are pretty clever in addition to being thoughtful! 


I have to say I'm pretty impressed with their thinking skills to get the ladder down the road to pick without the help of an adult!  Country  roads are so nice for that type of thing!  

 You see, the higher the berries, the bigger and more ripe they are!  The branches of chokecherry trees are not very big and as they have climbed them, I have voiced my concern for their safety!  I have to say, these kids listen pretty well...sometimes...as there are a couple who have the propensity to be pretty daring!

I love these kids!  They have even come up with a pretty great tasting Chokecherry Julius they want to market at the Festival! While I was away at the local high school football game, enjoying a rest, these grandkids picked nearly a 5-gallon bucket full of chokecherries and I found the berries waiting in my kitchen to be juiced!

How grateful I am for so many things....grandchildren, chokecherries, the Chokecherry Festival, friends and beautiful fall days, to name just
a few! The date for the Festival is Sept. 15th, Down on the Farm.  Turn right at the red brick church on Hwy. 35 in Woodland on to Bench Creek Road; cross the Provo River; the farm is on the right side of the road before you start up the hill.  There will be plenty to do and see with the -

5-K Run - Registration at Contact Giselle Rasheta, 435-513-0834.
Kids Games and Activities all day.

Boutique all day - The Boutique is lined up with vendors, so there will be plenty of exciting items!Of course, you will find chokecherry, elderberry and even hawberry jelly and all sorts of gourmet jams.  If you are interested in being a vendor, call Billie Sue McNeil - 435-513-4607.

Food Court - Great food and as always...chokecherry condiments as garnish!

The famous Pumpkin Patch Hay ride throughout the day.

The haymaize throughout the day.

Entertainment - The Rhodes Valley Band will provide great entertainment from 3 - 5 pm.  You really need to hear this group!


The Trail/Poker/Lunch Trail Ride - Jodi McNulty - 435-513-9799 or JoDe Miles - 435-640-8250, for those who love to see the beautiful fall countryside from the back of a horse and play a hand of poker to win exciting prizes topped off with a fabulous lunch.  $20 /adult rider, lunch, poker hand and great prizes. $10 child/lunch, Old Maid hand and great prizes.







Be sure to mark your calendar for Sept. 15th,
and plan on spending a beautiful fall day with us! Beginning at 9 am - 5:30 pm. For questions, call me anytime!